Friday 14 January 2011

Something a bit...French

So tomorrow morning I'm helping out at my church's Coffee Morning. I just started going to this church, so I'm not sure what to expect. Anyway, I asked the lady organising it if I should bring anything, and she replied "If I would like to."

The question wasn't Would I like to? but What would I bring?

The answer: Madeleines.

For Christmas my mother gave me a cook book from the Australian Women's Weekly set of cookbooks named "Afternoon Tea". It is absolutely stunning, and the recipe chapters range from tea sandwiches, to scones, to pastries and cake. In the book is a recipe for Madeleines. Basic enough, tried it out and the outcome was nice but blah. So I tweaked it a bit. A bit of lemon here, more sugar there and voila! Madeleines fit for church.

So what is a Madeleine? In the simplest of terms, it is a little sponge usually shaped like a seashell. A bit more high brow response would be that it is a "light French sponge made from a génoise batter" and shaped like seashells. Now you can google 'Génoise' and you'll get all sort of links, but unfortunately, after doing my own research the recipe I've been given I can't admit to being truly génoise but rather a lazy, "hey it works" version. Shame on you Women's Weekly. Nevertheless, here it is:


Slightly-Lemony Madeleines

2 1/2 heaped tablespoons caster sugar
2 heaped tablespoons icing sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
35g plain flour
35g self raising flour
75g melted, then cooled, butter
1 tablespoon hot water
Zest of half a lemon
  • Beat the eggs, then add the sugar by the spoonful, while whisking, until the mixture was frothy and creamy looking.
  • Add the vanilla extract and the lemon juice, and mix in.
  • Add the (twice-sifted) flour and fold in a little. Then add the melted butter and hot water, folding the ingredients until everything is mixed in thoroughly.
  • Add the lemon zest.
  • Cook at 200°C for 12 minutes, until the middle is firm but springy under the touch.

Et voila, easy madeleines. I hope no French patissier stumbles across my page to chew me out for publishing this instead of a genuine madeleine recipe but if a reputable establishment like The Australian Women's Weekly can do it, then I can do. The important thing is that they taste good and go well with tea and coffee. This should make about 24 madeleines, but I spread my batter thinner and made 33 slightly smaller ones. Unfortunately my madeleines aren't all golden brown like the cookbooks make out, but those have clearly been photoshopped. But FYI, they're lovely.




Look out for my attempt at madeleines made from classic Genoise batter.

Peace,
student_gourmand

No comments:

Post a Comment