Thursday 20 January 2011

Day 6 - Whatever tickles my fancy?

I'm tempted to talk about French Fancies but then I'll start craving it and go down to the shops. In fact, it's too late. Here come the cravings.

So onto the topic of cravings. Hated by health nuts and dieters worldwide, the craving comes in many forms. The weird thing for me is that I've never had a craving for anything healthy, or at least somewhat healthy, except for wheatabix, and even then I pour in the sugar. My cravings are either dessert based, meat based, or snack based. But I rarely snack. I eat four square meals a day, and unless I drink tea outside these meals, I only have snacks/sweets at the time of the meal.

My snack cravings tend to happen during the holidays when I'm bored, and then the biggest craving is for peanut butter. On toast, on cinnamon bagels, from the jar with a teaspoon, in a PB&J sandwhich. I love the softer peanut butters that melt when placed on hot bread/bagels. I suppose I should take advantage of this love to eat healthier with that American favourite, ants on a log. Celery stick slathered in peanut butter and topped with raisins. Though I do know people who just use the celery stick and dip straight in the jar. But celery makes me shudder.

My meat cravings tend to be for Nana's home-cooked goods, special occasion stuff, like baby back ribs & ox tail, or stuff I only eat in Jamaica, like proper Jerk Chicken cooked outside in a hut off the side of the road, or curry goat, or the slightly unhealthy comfort food Mum cooks like corned beef with dumplings, and proper fry-ups. I love meat in general so much, that if I had a choice between never eating either sweets or meat ever again, I would give up sweets.

My pastry & cake cravings are all over the place. I crave the simplest things the most. Doughnuts, yumyums, croissants. Shortbread and biscuits on a cold night when I need a cuppa. The worst thing ii the world happned to my weight when a bakery opened in the village near to my house. Everyday without fail, they'd see my pretty face. Pastries are an obsession, one that only self control, and the knowledge that my family genes favour very hippy women, can temper.

Those are my cravings to eat. I get these for all reasons: nostalgia or homesickness, if I feel low, the monthly curse, boredom, and when I watch the Food Network :) I also have a craving to feed people, or, if I'm feeling stressed, to bake something for the sake of it.

What do you crave?

student_gourmand

PS I did go and get the French Fancies halfway through writing this post. As well s some pesto, baked beans, and bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment