Sunday 16 November 2014

Sunday is for brunch...

My friends and I would probably all agree that to catch up requires either tea or a very good meal. So meeting a friend I haven't seen in ages obviously meant brunch in London.

After dithering for a while, we decided to go to American restaurant, Jackson + Rye, that Sunday. And pushing the boat out a little, indulged in mid-morning cocktails. My friend went for a classic Bloody Mary [call me an ingénue but I've never had one, and after tasting hers, never will again] and I went for a similarly classic Bellini which was deliciously sweet and light. Perfect first thing.

We both ordered the Avocado 'Royale' - poached eggs on toasted bread with smoked salmon and a hollandaise sauce. I finished with an indulgent Blueberry & Apple Cobbler, not just a generous portion, but a whole individual pie plate was set in front of me. And of course, I requested vanilla ice cream instead of custard.

We had no reservations and we could see they were busy but we still got a table downstairs, with the proviso that there was a two hour limit. Just enough time for a gab and a grab to eat, yet there were no hovering waiters eager for us to leave. We had a relaxed and enjoyable brunch, with friendly and laid-back service.

The food was good and comforting, though nothing really wow. My one gripe would be under-seasoned eggs/hollandaise, but as that is such a personal preference I can't be too picky. But the familiar comfort, and chilled out surroundings made up for that. My cobbler was delicious though. Reasonable (for London) prices, we paid roughly £20 each.

My two cents? I'd eat there again - 7 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment